Course Objective Heading link
The main learning objective is to formalize a methodical approach to needs assessment based on human-centered research. Students will develop their interpersonal communication skills, gain a deeper understanding of the environment in which medical devices are used, and observe therapeutic treatment in real time. The outcome of this course is to adequately prepare students for design of medical devices that are conceived from validated end-user needs.
Students meet these objectives by:
- Receiving instruction in user-centered design methodology through weekly mini lectures and interactive exercises.
- Gaining exposure to methods that allow students to engage with stakeholders (doctors, clinic staff, patients) and give them the tools to understand the clinical environment.
- Learning the importance of empathy in design by analyzing the user experience.
- Working in teams to analyze and synthesize data they have gathered throughout their clinical rotations through evaluative methods.
- Summarizing findings and insights in a blog journal, written report and team presentation to stakeholders at the end of each rotation.